And you know what that means! Nothing actually went to the consignment store yet but we have big plans. My daughter is finally done with the big plastic kitchen we got her when she was 3. Her brother doesn't play with it either. Unfortunately it's so big we had to call ahead to make sure they have room. The consigment store can take it Friday so whoopee! I'll try and remember to take a picture.
This past weekend I cleaned up and three bags of garbage went out. THREE! Oh, how embarrasing! At least one of the bags was the hubbie going through the art drawer.
The art drawer is a good example of how my mind works and why my house is cluttered. Everything, yes, EVERY THING can be used for crafts. Toilet paper rolls, paper towel rolls, old gift bags, stickers that arrive in the mail, magnets that arrive in the mail with ads on them, little bits of clay, pieces of yarn, every paint kit you've ever been gifted, every broken and peeled crayon you've ever owned - I could go on, but do I really have to? (seriously, I've seen people online who spin their dog's hair into yarn - Every. Thing.).
So sure, crafts are great for those of us who have kids and aren't rolling in dough. Spend a few bucks on glue and a pair of scissors and you can craft for a week just on the junk mail (especially this time of year!).
The problem is, when you (and by "you" I mean me) keep every single thing, eventually, you can't find any of it. Opening the craft drawer becomes overwheling instead of inspiring and the end results? No crafting gets done.
This past weekend I asked my husband to clean out the craft drawer while I cleaned up another room. I didn't pull a single thing from the garbage after him even though I did look in and find myself thinking "we could do something with that". He ended up with a bag or two of recylable paper and a bag of garbage.
And it's still too cluttered, LOL! Ok well, maybe after Thanksgiving I'll tackle it a bit more ruthlessly. But still, it's much better and on the way to being reasonable. Again. (how long will it last this time?).
Oh! And one more thing I'm proud of. I threw away maps. Old maps. Maps I was keeping because someone could decopage them onto something or cut them up and glue them to something or . . . something. Seriously woman, get a grip! They went to recycle.
I really need to try and be more discerning with what I keep in the craft drawers, huh? But that's the hard part, isn't it.
Tuesday, November 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
So true! when you have everything, you can't find just one thing!
Congrats on moving out that toy kitchen!
Post a Comment