Sunday, February 14, 2010

Oh dear.

Oops. I'm already screwing up, lol!

I just sent the hubbie out with a trunkload of stuff from the basement and didn't take a picture or write down a single thing. Ah well, better that than not going out the door at all right?

To Goodwill this morning (as best as my memory serves)

1 wind up baby swing from when my 11 year old was a baby (sniff sniff) (only one item but it's pretty bulky so the new space is nice)

1 girl's winter jacket
1 little boy's cool weather jacket
1 girl's pullover
1 little girl's lined raincoat
1 girl's UV protection swim suit
1 girl's electric orange sweater from the 60's
1 "vintage" wool itchy sweater from the 60's
1 very vintage wool toddler coat and hat from the 50's (you probably know the type)


Some of that stuff has been sitting in the basement for years. I mean literally years of "I should get rid of that".

I made a rule for myself a year or so ago. My kid's consignment store only takes clothing in the proper season. So I decided that if I missed a season, I will *no longer* lie to myself and say I'll just store it til next year and then bring it in. Because by the time next year rolls around, I won't remember it. Or the year after, or the year after. This has happened too many times and I always seem to come across the stuff in the off season. That raincoat in particular has been in the basement for many years for that reason. And the girl's winter coat was only worn one season and in great shape but did I remember to drop it off this winter? No, I did not, and now the consignment store is no longer taking winter so, out it goes.

I also threw away a few things. Things that in the past I would hold on to because even though they are in horrible condition, I might be able to do "something" with them. Maybe, but will I? No. So in the garbage they went.

And for the record, the "vintage" stuff is in good shape. It's not stuff I'd put a kid in because most of the clothing from that era is itchy, but I know plenty of people love it, so that's why I feel ok about sending it to Goodwill. In particular, I know someone will squeal when they find that 1950's coat and hat set.

All this stuff was from the basement. We have a weight set down that there has turned into a coat rack and so we are excavating it so we can attempt to start working out again. Yeah, I know, I'm laughing too. But it's worth a try.

One more freecycle pick up and I should be able to post at least a few of the pictures later. One bag is not being picked up til Tuesday though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I was wondering if you had any advertising or guest post opportunities available on your site? I would love the opportunity to work with you and I look forward to hearing back from you.
Thanks,
Emily
--
Emily Patterson
Communications Coordinator
Primrose Schools
epatterson@primroseschools.com