This week the Unclutterer linked to a very inspiring article on organizing an attic.
We did some attic work this week. It wouldn't have been my first choice to do it right now but dh wanted to get a lot of stuff down for the garage sale. Now, I think we have plenty of stuff in the living areas of the house that can be sold but he is right that a fuller sale attracts more people so I'll stop whining about the stuff (for now).
But what's funny is what he said to me.
He thinks the reason to clear the attic is to then put more stuff up there!
Hah! Funny guy. Um, no. The reason to clear the attic is just to clear the attic. I don't know, less of a fire hazard? Easier to think about putting up insulation? Fewer places for squirrels to hide?
But for me, there has been a definite good side to bringing down all that stuff. It's really made me see how much utter crap we've stored over the years. How many things seemed important and just plain aren't. When dh said we'd put more stuff up there I said no. We'll get rid of it instead.
Now, there are some things that belong in the attic. Like Christmas decorations. And some family heirlooms (more on that later because you can totally go nuts and clutter up a house with that stuff!).
But the hubbie was happy to point out to me how many empty cardboard boxes I insisted we save. From our wedding. Eleven years ago. And the 9 (?) boxes of baby/toddler clothing from our 9 year old (if we did have another girl I wouldn't have remembered they were up there! It was a surprise to me!).
Of course, he has the 4 foot tall suit of armor statue I noticed he wasn't getting rid of so let's not pretend it's all me ;-)
Anyway, our attic is still cluttered but a good chunk of it is going out this saturday.
I just wish it wasn't piled up around the house til then (Eek! Send chocolate!).
Tuesday, August 05, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment