Sunday, July 30, 2006

Today was a Good Day

Well, it was a productive day. I think I left off at #5 yesterday so without further ado, here is

#6


This is a Fuller brush sweeper. My Grandmother gave it to me this past Christmas. It seemed like a nice idea. She had been telling me for years I should have one because it's nice to clean up small messes. I brought it home and quickly realized that when you have 2 kids, 1 rather large cat and a 60 lb dog this cute little thing just doesn't cut it. The kids used it a few times for fun but for the most part, a vacuum is really the way to go for us. So, after 7 months of sitting in a corner with the handle being taken off and lost many times by the kids, I finally got it all together and out the door it went. I gave it to my mom who is going to take it to my Aunt's for her church sale.

#7



This one is sad really. It's a testament to how my dh and I waste money. This is a kitchen faucet, still in the box, never used. We bought it at Home Depot for about $75 (I think?) something like 5 or 6 years ago. We kept meaning to take out the old faucet and replace it with this but we never got around to it. I can't remember why. Well, the other day dh was cleaning up in the garage and brought that out. He pointed out to me that now that we have a portable dishwasher (we've had it for years), this faucet won't even work! It won't connect to the dishwasher. So I tried to freecycle it and the woman didn't show twice in a row. I was going to go to the next on the list but decided instead to give it to my mom to bring to my Aunt (I asked her to ask my sister first if she wanted it).

#'s 8 - 72



Children's books. Many, many books. I used to think you couldn't have too many books and I still sort of believe it. It's important for kids to grow up in a house filled with books, to see that they are part of life and to enjoy them. The thing is, I now think that #1 it might be possible to have too many books for a certain space and #2 maybe it wouldn't be too bad to make sure the books you *do* give space to are ones that people like and actually read.

So I went through our stash and this is what I found. Forty were culled from our shelves (and that was only a fraction - we still have hundreds of kid's books), nine were old Animal Baby magazines my son enjoys getting but pretty much reads once and then never again touches and fifteen were part of a big haul my mother-in-law sent home with them last weekend (we kept about half). They aren't even all in the picture since I found more as I was cleaning up later. The really cool part is that my step-mom has her own little charity where she brings books to the courts she works in to give away to kids who have none of their own. So it's nice to know that these books will be loved by someone instead of being passed over and shoved aside day after day. Added to 15 or so that we got at the local library booksale the other day and these books filled a grocery bag and a shopping bag.

The great big bonus is that THIS was a de-cluttering that you can actually see! For weeks now the books have been slowly overflowing the bookshelves and today they finally fit nicely! Well, uh, the fiction shelves at least. I didn't go through the kid's science books or my dd's chapter books in her room, but at least this one area looks better so I'm happy :)

No comments: