Wednesday, October 11, 2006

The Compact

I've been hearing a lot about The Compact lately. A bunch of people have decided to not buy anything brand new for one year. There are exceptions, such as food, underwear and safety items. Also, different people are making private exceptions for various things but still following the plan overall. The idea is to cut down on consumerism and try and reuse more. Buy clothing from thrift and consignment stores, purchase dishes from Goodwill, get toys from freecycle, etc.

I think it's a good idea and definitely more people should pass on used items (something I've vented about already) and use second hand themselves, but I'm not doing it and here's why.

I've been following discussions online about the Compact and getting this uncomfortable feeling reading the threads. I finally realized what it was. I'm trying to limit the acquisition of *stuff*. It doesn't matter if that stuff is brand new or third hand, it's still stuff I don't need, it's still clutter. When I was first reading about the Compact I had a little thought "Cool, I can buy whatever I want as long as it's used!". Hooooooo boy. Uh, no, not the point, but that's the feeling it inspired in me.

I read this article last night and the quote at the end helped me clarify my feelings.


"Although if I continue to shop crazily at thrift stores, is that any better?" . . . . . "I think it is."

Yeah, it's better for the environment, sure! It's not better for *me* though. Not for my house or my family. And no, that's not really the idea of the Compact and many people who are doing it *are* trying to limit acquisitions, not just limit brand new ones. But so far, most of the Compact discussions I've found online are talking about all the wonderful stuff they have gotten used. It's too tempting for me. It's like an alcoholic joining in on a chat about all the fun drinks you can get. I think I'm much safer reading blogs and discussions about de-cluttering instead. I don't want to hear what people brought into their house this week (no matter if it was 5th hand or whatever). I want to hear what went OUT.

I guess part of the problem is that getting used items is not a new thing for me. I already buy most of my kid's clothing second hand or use hand me downs. I've gotten clothing for dh and me off of freecycle. I'm not into fashion and wear the same pants and shirts until they fall apart. The shoes I have are practical and I wear them into the ground. Most of the furniture in the house is at least second hand. I not only have no problem with used items, I have already long thought it was a good idea.

MY problem is that thrift stores, church sales, freecycle and the like are *worse* for me than first hand stores. It's easier to stop myself buying something when it's brand new. It's a lot harder when it's used (look! I'm recycling!), inexpensive (look! I'm saving money!) or, heaven forbid, free *and* second hand (whoo hoo! Mother lode!). The large majority of clutter in this house (gone or still here) was gotten used.

It's a great idea though and at the least, it's made me think a bit about what more I could get used if I tried. And meanwhile, even though I'm not Compacting, I'm making a contribution by passing on as much of my stuff as I can so that those doing the Compact will have plenty to work with ;)

2 comments:

Clean ClutterFree Simple said...

Yes!!!! Thank you so much for pinpointing my issues with the Compact. I joined a Compact mailing list, but just couldn't get through the messages. It's not the battle that *I* need to fight right now. Others who can go to thrift stores and just buy that one thing they need used, hey, good on them. I can't. So a plan that encourages that, well, it's not for me. Whew!

Shannon said...

Well good, I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this way ;)