Saturday, April 28, 2007


Hangers! Many, many hangers. The first batch were all antiques, I kid you not. Antique hangers. It makes me laugh :) Anyway, they were all left in the house by my husband's grandparents who lived here since 1949 (a year after the place was built). Many of them were from hotels, manufacturers and dry cleaners that no longer exist (I know, I googled). I asked my husband if he minded if I got rid of them since they were from his grandparents. He said I should eBay them. He was joking but guess what? There are people selling "vintage" wooden clothes hangers on eBay. They're not getting a lot and most of them aren't selling but still, it's sort of cool. But eh, I freecycled these. Much faster :)



The second batch are plastic. The kid's hangers, I have no idea where I got them. I have a vague memory of getting them when my daughter was a baby or maybe when I was pregnant with her (she's 8 1/2). I didn't buy them though, I know that. I'm guessing someone gave them to me. I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time to take so many. The adult hangers I bought somewhere, not sure where.

But a few months ago I bought three sets of nice wooden hangers from Home Depot and it was finally yesterday that I went through the closets and replaced as much as I could with them. Wow, it looks nice in the coat closet now! And my husband's shirts look great. Fine, maybe it's shallow, I don't care, LOL! I feel like I have some visual order now and it makes me happy, so there.

I did keep some plastic. My daughter's closet still has some because she does hang some dresses (mostly she uses her dresser though). And I kept some plastic hangers of both sizes for the laundry. We line dry and in rainy weather we have to hang in the basement. Being able to hang shirts up on plastic hangers to dry is great for saving space. But even with all the ones I kept, I still gave away 19 wooden hangers, 23 plastic kid's size hangers and 10 plastic adult size hangers.

But wait, there's more!

Then I gave away to friends 9 old Archaeology magazines, 1 Roman art catalog from a museum, 1 Cooking Light magazine and 1 wooden knifty knitter type thing with instructions (but lacking the pointy thing).

It was a good week :)

1 comment:

Pamela said...

Great job getting rid of hangars. They do seem to multiply!!