Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Pop psychology

So I didn't actually go to Goodwill like I thought I would. I ended up with just one bag and it didn't seem worth the trouble to go. I have more for this weekend though so I'll put up pictures then.

Meanwhile, I think I may have figured something out about myself. I'm resistant to being told I have to do something. Even if the one telling me is . . . . me. I already knew that about other areas of my life like exercising. Now I just realized it's working that way with decluttering too.

I joined a challenge thread on MDC saying I'd do something or other (back in July, I can't even remember what). And I didn't do it. I joined another in August saying I'll clean off the top of the dresser by the end of the week. And I didn't do it. I post on this blog that I will clean off that dresser last weekend. And I didn't do it.

I'm still decluttering plenty. The bags of stuff to the consignment store last weekend, the other bag I've already put together (since then!) for the consignment store next weekend, along with two bags for Goodwill. I'm culling plenty. It's not like I'm not doing anything. I'm just not doing anything I tried to tell myself I had to do.

Huh.

So . . . . I'm not gonna clean off the top of the dresser. Nope. Not gonna. I don't have to. It's my dresser, I don't have to clean anything I don't want to clean and nobody can make me. It's been messy for this long, it can stay messy. So there.

(now shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, don't say anything and let's see what happens :-D )

1 comment:

Gavi said...

Oh I can SOOOOOOO relate! I have joined challenges and things before only to find myself doing anything other than what I'd posted I'd do. So, following your lead, I am not going to finish decluttering my room and I am going to go out and buy lots of useless junk!