Ok, we're going to take a brief detour away from decluttering and explore redecorating today.
I've been saying for months (maybe even a year or two) that I wanted to paint the front room. It was white, flat paint and hadn't been painted for about 15 years. You can imagine what that looked like (especially with my daughter the grafitti artist).
Well, saturday I told the hubbie we should "do something" this weekend. He said ok, let's paint the front room. Ha ha, yeah right. I said that I hadn't even decided on the color so how could we do that. He disappeared into the other room and returned a few minutes later with the paint chips I had picked out a few months ago and repeated that we should do it.
Here's where the difference between my husband and myself stands out. I don't just "do" things. I have to think about them for a really long time, totally plan them out, waffle back and forth many times on how best to do it and in the end, get totally overwhelmed and go back to the "thinking" stage again. Repeat ad nauseum. My husband - just does it. He's the same way with cleaning and decluttering too. His brain just has something that mine doesn't, that's all there is to it.
So he's saying we should paint the front room and my brain is chattering away with so many reasons why we "can't" do that. I finally told my brain to shut up and said "ok".
And OMG, I woke up Sunday morning and he was already moving furniture! By the middle of the day the walls were cleared of art and mirrors and spackle had been applied. While the kids were at Grandma's we went to Lowe's and got the paint (at the last minute I changed my mind on the color - I had to waffle at least a little bit, right?). We then started painting. When the kids got home they helped a bit and by the time the day ended we had a coat of paint up.
Tomorrow morning, probably before I even get up, he's going to put on the second coat and then we'll do the trim.
The house is, of course, a wreck. The piano is in the computer room, the coat tree is in the backroom, stuff is just everywhere. But my walls are a beautiful, shiny green and I love them :D
And you know what? I know this will end up with decluttering because I already can't stand the idea of just shoving junk back into a room with such lovely, fresh and colorful walls :D
Life is good :)
Sunday, January 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Woohoo on decluttering a newly painted space!! A job well done!
congrats on just saying 'OK'! That's a big step, to move out of your comfort zone. What colour did you decide on?
I just finished a looooong overdue painting project: our hallway. It took a week (lots of trim, needed to prime, etc).
Thanks guys :) It's "apple green". I'll get some pictures up this weekend after the room is totally in shape (we're letting it sit the week before putting the pictures and stuff back up). And I was right, it inspired decluttering, LOL! Nothing's left the house yet but I now have piles to go out :)
Post a Comment