One item for today! This coat rack finally went out. It seemed like a good idea when we brought it home from the grandparent's house but eventually I realized it would be much neater to have the coats in a closet. A bunch of months ago (I can't even remember how long) my wonderful dh cleaned out the front room closet (that door to the left) and now all the adult's coats are there. This coat rack has spent months in the basement. A few days ago I put it on Freecycle. Someone claimed it that day but it took a few more for her to pick it up. No matter, today it was gone :)
The guilt part? My mom saw it on our steps on the second day I had it out (the woman didn't come the first day and on the second day she emailed me that her car broke so I took it back in and put it out again today). Mom told me she'd always admired it and would like it for her hallway to hang coats. She said it would be perfect there and would help organize things. I briefly wondered if I should email the freecyle woman and recind the offer and then I really thought about it. My mom's house is very cluttered. The way I grew up is the main reason I do all the research on hoarding. Do I really want to contribute to the mess? Because no, a coat rack is not going to be the magic pill that organizes her house. She already has a bench/mirror/coat rack combo in that hallway and there are only three people living there (all of whom have closets in their rooms) why would they need more? I'm not going to "fix" my mother or her house, but I'm also no longer interested in contributing to the problem.
So a tiny bit of guilt. My mom is great and I love her and yeah, it would make her happy. But then, giving an alcoholic a 6 pack would make him happy too and I'm not doing that either.
Anyway, 1 item gone today :) More pulled aside, but not gone yet. They'll be tallyed this Sunday when they go to Goodwill.
No comments:
Post a Comment