Saturday, August 26, 2006

Excavating the Pile O' Cloth

I actually got rid of a lot of stuff today - 52 items! - but I only took pictures of the books! Ooops.

So, here's another exciting photo of books :) 15 baby and toddler books, heading to my step-mom for her charity. I must have culled them a long time ago because we found them when going through a large pile of fabric and clothes in the front room. They were in a bag, buried under cloth, not having seen the light of day in I don't know how long.

In addition, Goodwill is now the proud recipient of 16 items of clothing (toddler and child), 3 children's baseball hats (my kids never wear hats, why do they have so many?), 1 pair of toddler hiking boots, 1 pair of kid's keds (it turns out keds have no support and my dd's legs hurt every day she wore these), 2 receiving blankets (my youngst is 4, why do I still keep finding these things????), 1 girl's winter coat (from the winter before last - she wasn't ready to let it go last year), 1 sports bottle, 1 insulated water jug and 1 practically brand new dog collar (from our dear, departed George who died 2 years ago - this wasn't his real collar, which we're keeping - this was the replacement we bought him when we couldn't find his real collar for awhile).

To my step-sister (for my nephew) went 8 items of cotton clothing, 1 hat and one child's life preserver (for some reason we had two that fit my 4 y/o).

Except for the water bottles, the life preserver and the dog collar, all of that came from the Pile O' Cloth that had taken up residence in the front room. It was part scrap pile, part "in need of repair" pile and then became part "someone threw this here for no apparent reason" pile. Add to that some jackets and scarves (it's summer here!). It was quite the pile. I think it was working it's way to achieving sentience.

So I went through it. I kept one box of pretty cloth for sewing projects (mostly my 7 y/o making outfits for her stuffed animals and dolls) and threw away two garbage bags of scrap. Which I feel sort of bad about. This is how I get into these fixes. Sigh. I keep thinking "someone could make something out of this". The legs of jeans, stained t-shirts, ripped receiving blankets, etc. And yes, someone can make things out of these but you know what? The people who are crafty enough to do that have their OWN stained, torn and leftover clothing to use. They don't need or want mine! So I chucked it. I'm trying to feel good about it, can you tell? :P

I've decided I'm not counting things I throw away. Sure, they make my house look better, but I don't *feel* good about stuff I chuck in the garbage. This blog is supposed to inspire me, not depress me, so I just want to focus on the things I find new homes for, not the things I add to a landfill. Where my grandmother used to live you could donate rags and scraps to be recycled. I think every town should have something like that but, as far as I've been able to tell, there's nothing like that around here. Phooey.

Oh, and I'm allergic to dust and you can imagine how much there was in this pile so . . . . here's a picture of me that dh took during the whole thing. Can you tell I'm smiling? :D

No comments: