Thursday, August 24, 2006

A modest haul

Apparently it might not be a cold. My dad told me the ragweed pollen count has been high this past week and is supposed to get higher. Ok, so that would explain me being tired all the time and waking up every stinking night sneezing my head off for a minimum of 1/2 an hour (and then waking up exhausted in the morning because of course my kids get up the same time as usual). Eh, whatever, enough whining right? :D


Whatever the reason, I didn't get a huge amount done, but I did manage a bit :) Here we have 6 napkin/placemat settings (upper left corner - gold and gray). I bought those at last year's church sale. I never liked the placemats but I like the napkins. I went through them last week when I moved the tablecloths and realized that while we do use cloth napkins, we very rarely use placemats. It also turned out there were 6 placemats and 12 napkins(???). So I put together 6 placemat/napkin combos to send to the church sale and kept the extra napkins for us.

The green ones were my Grandmothers. The color matches a tablecloth of hers I have but the design doesn't at all. Plus, there are four of us, so having three napkins doesn't really work.

The red ones are really nice except for the fringe. Every time I wash them they fray (can you see the string?). I think if someone hemmed them they'd be nice but I've had them for years and never did it so . . . buh bye (plus, again, only TWO of them and four of us).

The final item is some sort of kitchen cloth. Maybe for kneading bread on? Or a dish towel? Heck, it could be a diaper for all I know. Someone will buy it or they won't. Off to the church sale with the lot a 'ya!

And here's some more :) On the left are two white candles still in the wrappers. Since I gave away the candlesticks the other week I have no need of these.

In the middle is a plate I once had on the bathroom wall. I decided I'm not thrilled with it so it's going (I actually took it down months and months ago but didn't get around to doing anything with it!).

Finally, on the right, ceramic ballet slippers. I have no idea where this thing came from. Is it a Christmas ornament maybe? Not sure really, but someone will like it.

So that was it for today. 16 items. Nothing big and flashy, nothing hard. Though I did find myself thinking "Maybe I should keep Grandma's napkins" and "I can hem the red ones" and "maybe I should keep one candle".

That ABC link was VERY inspirational for me. The psychologist dude talked about how it's hard to get rid of something when you can find a use for it. The problem is, if you think hard enough, you can find a use for ANYTHING. But will you actually do it? Will you put it to that use? I've had those red napkins for at least 4 years now (before my son was born I'm sure) and in all that time, I've never hemmed them. And sure, I can find a use for a candle but come on, I have enough already! And the green napkins that we don't have enough of? Yeah, I know. But it's helping to understand more of what's going on in my head so #1 I don't beat myself up too much and #2 the better I understand myself, the more I can work around myself :)

Now excuse me while I go blow my nose :P

No comments: